Meeting begins at 6:16pm.
• Members present: Rich, Mac, Annette, Claire.
• Public Comments
• CAN Newsletter
o New printer possible. Morel Ink? Michael De Marco to be liaison.
CAN Newsletter not their standard type of business
o Columbia Blvd – Mollett Printing – check on it
o Need to replace Mac within 1-2 months; Denny’s job.
o Concordia merging on hold.
Too many differences between Concordia and Cully; Our neighborhood is already large.
There are some commonalities: planes, 42nd avenue, former track meet proposal that did not go through. Perhaps a possibility to join for a special issue, but not enough common goals to join permanently.
o Discussion about future of newsletter: smaller, less costly?
o At last general meeting, Laura mentioned finding a grant about funding the newsletter.
o Lynette doing good job as editor; our newsletter is high quality.
• CAN General Meeting March 12
o Who will run the meeting? Laura is Chair; Mac will put meeting together.
o No mayor.
o Bolt Fabrics @ Jane Doe building? (10 minutes)
o Oak Leaf : Gabe Triplet to present (15 minutes)
Jordan (project manager w/ property manager)
Nicolette (Social Worker)
o Cully Cleanup
Announce it will be happening; Seeking volunteers. How it will be organized
o EMCSWCD presentation
o ? Other ideas:
• What are the plans for that site? Any development?
• Abdul (director) came and spoke at last meeting – possible there are more changes?
Old Salt Marketplace: Brewery from Eugene will move in.
Mae’s moving to 42nd
• CAN General Meeting April
o Election at April Meeting – Use of Slate
Short spiels ~1min/candidate.
o Cully Cleanup – most important at this meeting
Josh is lead
Rich is in charge of general volunteers
o ? Invite someone from Metro to talk about green cleaning to reduce toxins going into water. Toxins in body care products.
o ? Speaker from Whitaker Ponds: Activities for Spring/Summer
o Suk Re?
• CAN General Meeting May
Ask their positions on homelessness, lead into the next meeting centered on homelessness?
• CAN General Meeting June
o ? Mayor: David
o ? Director of Multnomah County Shelters (Warming/Disaster) – willing to speak to educate about shelters/disaster relief centers. “Just in time” trainings for community members and leaders.
Tie in homelessness topics?
• Denny’s homeless project similar to Neighbors Helping Neighbors – would require many volunteers
• City’s homeless director: what different agencies are doing & development of the big project @ burnside bridge? Triage center/services: follow up on these projects? Garbage pickup, cleanups? Homer Williams?
o ? Debbie Kafuri – County Chair. Health Services
o ? Sushayla Jayapal – County Commissioner. First South Asian to hold county office in Oregon; Wide background for foster care, underserved communities, keynote speaker for upcoming Women’s March. Her sister is congressional representative. She came to the Sledge the Shack; came to Seastar Bakery recently. She is engaging the community.
o ? New Parks and Rec Director: previous director of Staten Island, Elenda
o Volunteer Appreciation.
Laura – after new Chair elected.
Laura H. – PSAC, lots of volunteer time.
Greg Sotir – Air
Cully Cleanup appreciation
Food, flowers, acknowledgements, celebration. More than certificates of appreciation. Small gifts personalized to their hobbies for special recognition.
• How are roles determined: Land Use/Transportation/Parks
o Rich joined as parks rep because of professional expertise
o Steve Yett: was land use previously. Now David.
o At large positions can be assigned at the president/board’s discretion.
o Annette wants to focus on Emergency Preparedness/resiliency, but also very involved with CHAT.
o Rich: The Chair should run meetings and board meetings. Mac has been organizing meeting programming as Vice Chair. Chair is slightly absent.
Mac: flexible delegations seem ok.
• Election at April meeting – Use of Slate
o At the March meeting
present the list that Isha compiled of all volunteers running for positions as a written compilation – printouts/projection?
Put a list out near the signup sheet for people to sign up for candidacy.
Someone (Isha?) should announce the list of candidates, say that it is open for anyone to run for office, can add their name to the slate now.
o Opens possibility to engage candidates that may be defeated to be involved on the board.
o Person running for Rich’s term will have 1 year left. All 9 positions will be up for election.
• Cully Cleanup
o Josh appointed leaders to all major categories.
o Isha/Rich volunteer leadership.
Isha: leads for cleanup
• All day/ half day leads. Laura H. committed & others.
Rich: general volunteers
• Needs 125 volunteers (had 69 last year) for things like: setup, traffic direction, greeters, cashiers, floating, sorters, dumpster (32), yard sale (17), food (3)
o Talk to high schools; motorcycle club; Solutions Motorcycle Group & other recovery community groups – need other ideas for who to contact
o Announcement in March/April with full strategy of how to run the cleanup.
o Signup on the CAN website – form
o Josh will meet with individual leads to organize everything
o Newsletter already printed; has a box about the cleanup. ¼ or 1/3 of a page for the online newsletter available.
Annette moves to adjourn. Rich seconds. Meeting adjourned at 7:58
• Check on Mollett Printing
• Reach out to PCC/PSU about graphic designers/journalists for CAN Newsletter
• Annette: check on potential availability for June for Multnomah shelter director? Sushayla Jayapal
• Rich: Talk to josh about what to put in the spot available for the Cully online newsletter for the Cully Cleanup.
• Rich: Invite Whitaker Ponds director – new person.
• David: see if the mayor can speak this year
• ?: Print slate of candidates for March meeting
• ?: Who do we recognize in June at our volunteer appreciation for their help? What do we give them?
Meeting begins at 6:16pm.